Santigold, Santagold

Facebook Twitter Digg Del.icio.us Myspace Stumbleupon Friendfeed

Written By: Khadeeja Coonrod

Santigold's (formerly known as Santogold) voice sounds like M.I.A. and Gwen Stefani combined but her music is as if she just arrived on earth with instrumentals that will blow you away into outerspace. Once you give her a try, you will never turn back because her voice will haunt you.

Her debut album, Santagold, was released April 29, 2008 in the United States. This American artist has a UK sound. It's Mars in the 80's. Santogold was placed at number 6 by Rolling Stone on the best 50 albums of 2008 list.

Rolling Stone also put the song, L.E.S. Artistes at number 2 on the 100 best singles list of 2008. With moving words that the song has, it's easy to see why; "What I'm searching for to tell it straight, I'm trying to build a wall. Walking by myself down avenues that reek of time to kill. If you see me keep going, be a pass by waver. Build me up, bring me down. Just leave me out, you name dropper. Stop trying to catch my eye. I see you good, you forced faker. Just make it easy. You're my enemy, you fast talker. I can say I hope it will be worth what I give up. If I could stand up mean for the things that I believe."

"The cool thing is that I was able to work with all these genres that are typically sub-cultural, like dub or punk or something, and then, by writing in a way that had hooks, made it accessible to everyone."- Santigold discussing the Santagold album

To fall in love with Santigold is an understatement. To name it the album of the year means you better be able to back up the statement which I personally will back it up with all I got.

To discover Santigold with you own ears, go to: http://www.myspace.com/santigold

Don't Agree With Our Top Picks? Vote Now!

Recent Posts

Columns

Album Reviews

Free MP3's

 

Extras

CWG Comedy | Dear in the Headlights

CWG Politics

Politics | Whirled News

Pop Section

GK Clusterf*ck | The Hotline | Girls Are Wingmen

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

About | Staff | Company | Careers/Internships | Contact | Advertise